Monday, October 13, 2014

Imagination is Contagious

Its been a busy couple of weeks in Preschool so I have decided to combine the last two weeks. Week 5 was focused on our Families and Week 6 was all around the theme of Fall. Throughout these past two weeks my preschoolers have been blowing me away with their growth, ability to grasp a concept so quickly and their big imaginations… :)

As part of our unit on Families, my students discussed healthy food choices and eating things that are good for our bodies. We discussed family meals and how important it is to share that time with your family. I had one student who claims he shares that time with his dog so when it came time to count the number of people in our family he was determined to include his buddy! Our craft project this week centered around family meal time and our favorite things. They got to make place mats with one side showing their hand prints in paint (Yes, I brought out the paint again... And with a very thought out plan and set-up, it went excellent and no hand prints were saved for the bathroom walls!!) and the other side was a magazine collage of pictures showing their favorite things. Now this was quite entertaining for me as some kids chose things that fit their personality very well, while others focused on "fun" things like zombies, mummies, and punch bowls. Ha! I had to chuckle at this because you could definitely tell which preschoolers took this into their own hands, or dad was left in charge! ;)

During week 5 we also were introduced to comparing cube trains in math. When reviewing this lesson I was a little skeptical as to how well this would be picked up as it is quite a large concept for 4 and 5 year old minds to grasp. However, I was pleasantly blown away with my smart little minds as they took it a step further and decided to tell me how many more or less each cube train had. They then told me how many more it would take to make them equal! I decided to give each student an opportunity to make sure everyone was understanding the lesson and was so impressed when each child completed their turn! Very proud teacher moment!! We expanded this concept then in Week 6 and I had then adding pumpkins and even using the words 'plus' and 'equal' :)

Week 6 was full of fun learning opportunities, which came at the perfect time as we had a lovely fall week to explore all of the changes happening around us. Our projects this week included pumpkin painting, pumpkin carving, a nature walk, and tie-dyed shaving cream leaves (which turned out great and made for lovely window decorations).

Our pumpkin carving project was very entertaining as every time I pulled a shape chunk out they would scream in delight! After I cut the top off they each got to pull some of the "guts" out to feel and smell. Some students were so skeptical about touching the inside, but when I finally got them to it was so rewarding to see their reaction. You sometimes forget how many things are unknown to them, but it's so amazing how many new things they learn and experience everyday. After we finished carving our pumpkin we then named him "Steve." Lol and the kids would greet him with hugs or high fives to the head everyday haha



Our pumpkin painting created a fun learning opportunity as some of the paint ended up mixing together and we figured out how to make new colors!

 (Making purple from red and blue)                                                 (Brown from green and yellow)




Our nature walk was an exciting addition to our week as they gathered different colored leaves, pine cones, cherries, aaaand beer cans…. Note to any parents and teachers do not take your class or children on a nature walk by any bars, you will in fact have a fun new array of items that NEED to go into your nature bag. (Side note: this was after a big wedding dance, and none of the students touched any trash, although they were tempted!) One student even belted out "HEY….that's what my dad drinks!"

Finally, the most entertaining things from the past two weeks was our circle time discussions, which leads me to my Blog title. Imagination is contagious. Once one student picks a subject, everyone has a story to tell, which as you will see is often made up, but oh do they make for great stories!

"One time there was a flying spider in my room cause my dad left the window open at night!"
Another student- "That's called a moth"

"There was once a giant spider outside and so my dad cut a house out of a mushroom and put all our stuff inside and we hid in there while my dad chopped the spider up! Then we got to go back to our real house."

This was a nightmare one of my students had that decided they NEEDED to share.
"Everyone had chicken pox in the whole world except for me and they all started scratching them and they were trying to give them to me and I was was sooo scared Miss Cronin, and you know what I didn't even have a teddy bear!"

After reading a story about Clifford the Big Red Dog and how Bulls don't like the color red.
"My momma was in the pen with a bronco and she had on a brown coat and the bronco charges at her cause broncos hate the color brown. But shes OK though"

"My daddy thinks he's so funny and that he reads the best stories but he really doesn't. He only reads the best bible stories and momma reads all the other stories the bestest. My dad thinks he's my bestest friend he always says I'm your best friend arnt I and I say YESSSS daddy your stiiiiill my bestest friend. He does that alllll the time, he thinks he's so funny." Lol

Thanks for stopping :)
Miss Cronin



No comments:

Post a Comment